Next Meeting: ORCHIDFEST!
Sunday, 8 July 2018 at the Toronto Botanical Gardens in Floral Hall
This is a special all day summer event to which we invite all of our orchid friends.
- 9:30 am Plant registration for AOS judging.
- 10:00 am – 12:00 noon: AOS Judging. Bring your flowering plants for judging or come to watch the judging and learn how it is done. The judges are anxious to share.
- 12:00 noon- 1 pm: Pot luck lunch, please bring a dish to share. SOOS will provide the drinks. R.F Orchids Plant Sales.
- 1 p m: Robert Fuchs of R.F. Orchids (Florida) is our special guest. Members can pre-order anything from the online catalog at www.rforchids.com, The shopping cart does not work for non US orders so one should make a list and send it directly to (email@example.com)
Please note: NO Member and Vendor sales, NO Member plant table review, and NO Raffle at this event.
Plant of the Month - May 2018
Ascocentrum miniatum Doug and Terry did a beautiful job flowering this species! The plant was grown without any medium in a plastic basket, high up in their greenhouse and got water and fertilizer with all the rest of the plants in their high humidity greenhouse. Doug suggested the “roots in a clear bottle method” demonstrated by Alexsi Antanaitis for those of us without a continuously damp atmosphere. They have several more plants of this species available for sale. So you can all try to beat their success in covering the plant in at least 10 inflorescences of small orange flowers! Well done Kennedys!
Phalaenopsis Journal Second Quarter 28(2) 2018
SOOS members can browse the latest edition of the Phalaenopsis Journal magazine.
You can now access it instantly HERE.
If you are prompted to enter an access key to view the magazine use this: WptLCO
Special Guest Pre-Orders
Preordering information for the July 8 and September 2 speakers is as follows:
www.rforchids.com (firstname.lastname@example.org July 8 meeting
1 You may order of their current "mail order" sale flyer, with some heavily discounted new arrivals (hybrids and species, mostly). This will represent the best value for our members; (the flyer is downloadable on their website, on the "News" page)
2. There will be no further discounts from these prices, but there will be no shipping or document charges.
3. Members can also order anything from the online catalog at www.rforchids.com, The shopping cart does not work for non US orders so one should make a list and send it directly to (email@example.com)
4. Be sure to stipulate that this is an order for Bob to bring to Toronto. for July 8th.
5. .Deadline for pre-orders is June 30
Sunset Valley Orchids www.sunsetvalleyorchids.com September 2 meeting For pre-orders:
1. Order from the website as this is the most current listing. < firstname.lastname@example.org> directly mentioning that the order is for his SOOS visit September 2nd.
3. No further discounts as Fred is paying for shipping and documentation etc. so there are no added cost to the price of the plants.
4. At the meeting he prefers payment in US funds or you can use Paypal or Credit card if you would like to prepay.
5. He will start accepting orders for the Sept meeting on July 1st and the cut off date is August 20th
2018 Membership on sale now at the membership desk.
Annual membership is $30 with the newsletter by email. Newsletter by Canada Post $15 extra unless you are a pre 2011 member in continuous good standing receiving the newsletter by Canada Post.
You can now join or renew your membership through this website (by PayPal). More info...
- July 8: Orchidfest, Robert Fuchs, R.F. Orchids (Florida)
- September 2: Fred Clarke, Sunset Valley Orchids (California)
- October 7: Jason Fischer, Orchids Limited (Minnesota)